The UC Berkeley Food and Beverage Choices Policy (FBC) aims to improve access to nutritious foods and has been applied to dining commons, restaurants, retail, vending, and meetings, and events since January 2019. Improving access to nutritious foods is one of the most effective environmental strategies to improve the health outcomes of the campus population.
This policy focuses on making the healthy choice the easy choice, rather than taking choices away. Berkeley Dining is proud to be consistently in compliance with the policy, the following are always offered during normal operations:
- Cooked vegetables
- Whole grains
- Plant-based proteins such as beans or tofu
- Lean proteins such as skinless chicken or fish
- Options lower in salt and sugar
- Small portions of baked goods
- No more than 2 deep-fried options per meal
- Water, including sparkling and infused
- Nutrition facts and ingredients lists
For more information, visit the Food and Beverage Choices Policy webpage or read the full policy.